This weekend, I'll be attending CONvergence in lovely Minneapolis. I went last year and had some of the most fun I've had at any convention, so I'm looking forward to going again.
If your 4th of July plans include CONvergence, here's where you can find me:
- Thursday, 7-9 pm: "Gaming with Authors" at Source Comics and Games. Mike Underwood, Jamie Wyman, Tex Thompson, Craig Cormick, Anne Lyle, and I will be playing games and signing books. Come roll with us.
- Friday, 2-3 pm: "Dealing with Difficult People in Publishing." Every profession has its share of difficult people. What personalities and behaviors are the most challenging to work with in publishing and how do you handle it? What can we do to avoid becoming those difficult people as writers, artists, editors? With Elizabeth Bear, Wesley Chu, Lee Harris, and Michael Damian Thomas.
- Saturday, 2-3 pm: "Creating a Dystopian Society in Your Writing" in DoubleTree Atrium 7. How do you create a dystopian society that is believable and forwards your character development and plot? How do you add a twist to your society that makes it original without losing realism in the world of your story? With Christoforo Pasquarette, Naomi Kritzer, Wesley Chu, and Eric Staggs.
- Saturday, 3:30-4:30 pm: "Art of the Plot Twist" in DoubleTree Atrium 7. How do you set up a plot twist? What is soylent green? Who is Keyser Soze? And what's in the box?!?!? Feat. Patrick Marsh, Jack Reher, Lana Rosario, and Wesley Chu.
- Saturday, 5:00-6:00 pm: "Ready, Set, Flash!" in DoubleTree Atrium 4. In which
nefarious tricksterkind-hearted editor Lee Harris challenges five writers WHO WERE PROMISED BEER to instead write flash fiction in front of an audience. Without beer. We who are about to write salute you. My brothers (and sister) in arms: Paul Cornell, Kelly McCullough, Melissa Olson, and C. Robert Cargill.
- Sunday, 9:30-10:30 am: "Becoming a Game Designer" in DoubleTree Atrium 7. A room full of professional game designers will talk to you about being a game designer. Yes, I know it's early Sunday morning. But this is a job, you know--it's not all fun and games. Okay, maybe it's both. My fellow morning people: Shanti Pothapragada, Bill Bodden, Ian Price, and Jerry Belich.
- Sunday, 12:30-1:30 pm: Reading with Craig Cormick and Anne Lyle in 2201. Craig Cormick, author of The Shadow Master and The Floating City and Anne Lyle, author of The Alchemist of Souls and The Prince of Lies, will read from their latest books. I'll give the first-ever public reading from Cities and Thrones.